Tuesday 16 September 2014

Letter #7 Made it to Mexico!

Hello Everyone,

     Yesterday was my first day in Mexico! Ever since I got here, things have been kind of crazy. The moment I stepped off the plane, I started sweating. And I haven't stopped yet...I don't think I ever will. I've never been so grateful for cold water until now haha.
     Forgive me if I spell some things wrong or mess up, its hard to spell in English when I am speaking Spanish a lot. La lucha es real. 
     President Kirkham and Sister Kirkham picked us up at the airport along with two other missionaries. Elder Bigler and Elder Garcia. We spent most of yesterday in the mission home until about 8 when they assigned us companions, then we left to our houses. My companion is Elder Webb. He only has 12 weeks left in his mission. He is pretty awesome. He is nice and he is a good trainer. Monday's are actually our P-Days, but we didn't really get one yesterday so that's why I'm writing today. Anyways, Mexico is kind of crazy. It's a lot different than what I am used to that's for sure. Especially the weather. It's always hot, and the humidity is through the roof. And everything is dirty, EVERYTHING. I'm going to have to get used to that. I'm sending some pictures of the house that I live in, and some last pictures from the MTC. For those of you who are wondering, yes I slept in a hammock last night. It was awesome! And Dad, they had a blue and gold one, so that's what I chose. Gotta represent those Magrath colors!! Haha. 
 
     Other than that everything is great. We are teaching some investigators later today, so that should be good. The water here is no good. Unless we buy it in bottles or 10 gallon jugs at the store. Good thing I have my filtering water bottle! It helps a lot. 
     The culture here is very different too. It's not bad, just different. All the drivers here are crazy. People almost always run into each other with their cars. Like, inches away from accidents, no joke. I would hate to drive here, so I'm glad that we only walk! However, that means we always have to be cautious wherever we are walking. But that's not a big deal. 
     So, today is Mexican Independance Day, or something like that. So last night in the mission home, we had a fiesta! We had this soup called "Posole" and it was really good! President Kirkham also hired a Miriachi Band to play for us! It was a really good time! 
     Please continue to pray for me, I need it! Still help with Spanish and also with adapting to this new place. So, the area that I'm in is called "Benito Juarez". It is a city that is close to Cancun. It's an interesting place. Most of the buildings/houses have graffiti on them. Also, they are old and worn out. You can see chunks of buildings missing here and there. It's really interesting. Plus, there are dogs everywhere. Some of them are owned my the people, but most of them just wander the streets. Kinda freaky actually. I hope I don't get bit, that would not be good. Also, I'm pretty sure that my companion and I are the only white people in this city. For the first time in my life, I am the minority lol. That's okay though, by the time I get back I will probably be brown too. Either brown or red lol. 
     Anyways, I am having a great time! Please remember me in your prayers! Have a great week, I love you all so much! I'm so grateful for this opportunity to serve! May the Lord bless your lives, in everything you do! 

Love,
Elder Strate 
 
 
Elder Webb from Utah - my Trainer.
Our apartment





No comments:

Post a Comment